Fazely Cup Final vs Boldmere



Sutton United 1st Team beat Boldmere S&S Falcons 2nds in a dramatic penalty shootout to win the Fazeley Cup.

Sutton took an early lead through top goal scorer Joe Gildea and when Boldmere’s number two was dismissed for two yellow cards just before the break, it was hard not to assume that Sutton would cruise to victory. However, the Birmingham and District Premier side proved a stern test, equalising just before the break, before producing a spirited second half performance to force the shootout. Sutton finally triumphed with Jake Murrell netting the deciding spot-kick that clinched the trophy.

The bank holiday sun came out as a crowd of over 300 came to watch the two Sutton sides battle it out at New Mill Lane Stadium in Tamworth. United started the better with a strong thirty minutes, taking an early lead when captain Josh Duggan’s free kick was glanced home from close range by striker Joe Gildea.

Sutton were finding some joy down the wings, with a Shane Smith shot across the keeper inches wide of the far post and a six-yard effort from Gildea blocked by the Boldmere defender with a suspicion of handball.

For the Falcons, it was the 25th minute when their number two struck a decent effort from the edge of the box that had Reiss Wagstaff diving to push behind.

Boldmere were then reduced to ten men in the 41st minute when their number two was dismissed for two yellow cards that he really could have no complaint about.

And just as Sutton looked to have the upper hand, a defensive error on the stroke of half time allowed Boldmere back into the match. It was the Falcon’s number 11 who took advantage of Sutton’s two centre backs colliding, and he kept his composure to find the back of the net with only Wagstaff to beat.

Sutton had a big shout for a penalty within a minute of the restart, when Leyton Hines was challenged from behind, but the referee waved it away.

With the Falcons now defending deep, United enjoyed a lot of possession but never made the most of their chances. Gildea had two great efforts denied by keeper Connor Bryne, substitute Remi Bell swept an effort wide and Jonny Grigg’s shot late on, floated over the bar. As Sutton ran out of ideas, Boldmere worked tremendously hard and defended superbly to finally force a penalty shootout.

In a test of nerves, there were some fantastic penalties from both sides, with Duggan, Delaney, Gildea and Bell netting for Sutton. And with the scores level at 4-4, Wagstaff made a great save with his legs to deny Boldmere’s fifth penalty taker and up stepped Murrell to blast home the winning spot kick that lifted the trophy for Sutton.

After a night to celebrate, attentions immediately turn back to the MFL Two title chase as Sutton play host to Cadbury Athletic in their final league fixture at home this season, on Bank Holiday Monday 9th April at 3pm.

Team: Sutton United
1. Reiss Wagstaff
2. Jonny Grigg
3. Shane Smith – Matty Lewis 82’
4. Kaine Donald
5. Brad Gregory – Matt Hurrell 89’
6. Josh Duggan (c)
7. Leyton Hines – Jake Murrell 56’
8. Sef Semlali – Pete Bannister 59’
9. Joe Gildea
10. Tom Massey – Remi Bell 54’
11. Joe Delaney

Richard Heath
Liam Burke
Matt Gough
Chris Bratt-Rose
Derek Cullum

Team: Boldmere S&S Falcons
1. Connor Bryne
2. Callum Recci
3. Paul Smith
4. Dan Cooper (c)
5. Tom Day
6. Harry Lynch
7. Matt Straker
8. Scott Wilding
9. Lucas Fallon
10. Conner Duke
11. Kieran McConville
12. Ryan Bevan
13. Dean Reilly
14. Max Tisdale
15. Callum Humphrey
16. Layton Breedon

Callum Lee

Match Officials: David Patrick, Dan Hill, Craig Patrick, Robert Blagdon

Sutton UnitedStatisticsBoldmere Falcons
8Attempts on Target2
13Fouls Committed9
2Yellow Cards2
0Red Cards1

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *