31.01.23 vs Coton Green



Sutton United 1st Team scored three sensational goals to overcome MFL 1 side Coton Green at Coleshill Road Stadium and book their place in the Fazeley Cup Final.

The first evening match under the Coleshill Road floodlights attracted another impressive crowd, as United put Saturday’s disappointment at being knocked out of the Les James Challenge Cup firmly behind them, with a tremendous team performance to sweep aside their higher league opposition.

Coton Green are having a great season, currently sitting 7th in the MFL 1 after promotion last campaign and posed a tough test for the MFL 2 leaders. But Sutton rose to the challenge and fully deserved their place in the final, that will take place on Good Friday, when they meet Boldmere Sports and Social Falcons at New Mill Lane in Tamworth.

Sutton took an early lead with a goal of pure quality from Tom Massey: a Coton Green defensive header fell kindly for Massey to volley a glorious strike into the top corner from twenty-five yards.

The visitors came close when Connor Doyle cut inside to strike from the edge of the penalty area and Reiss Wagstaff did well to save and clear before anyone could pounce on the rebound.

The hosts then had a strong twenty-minute spell, as Massey came close with a shot that whizzed narrowly wide of the upright and striker Joe Gildea’s sliding shot was blocked at the near post. Joe Delaney was causing problems for the visitors on the left, with his best effort at goal hitting the side netting.

Then just after the half hour mark, Coton Green found an equaliser from a Brett Fellows corner that was knocked down and finished from close range by Luke Hennessy.

Sutton ended the half well with Jonny Grigg sprinting down the right to fire in a cross that had Leyton Hines stretching but couldn’t quite connect.
The beginning of the second half saw some end-to-end action. Massey’s shot from the right in the 50th minute had keeper, Lewis Landers, diving to push the ball behind at his near post. And for Coton Green, Matt Gardner fired into the side netting from the right of goal.

Sutton then regained the lead in the 77th minute, when Josh Duggan picked up a loose ball in the centre of the pitch, he timed his threaded pass perfectly to release Delaney on the left, who whipped in a cross for Hines to tuck away at the near post.

United soon added another, when Massey’s excellent challenge won the ball high up the pitch; Pete Bannister then found Delaney on the left to strike across goal with a precise finish into the bottom corner of the net.

Coton Green kept pushing forward and gave themselves a lifeline in the 86th minute when a deep corner was headed back across goal and substitute, Reinaldo Forbes, headed in.

The visitors then threw everything at Sutton in a tense final few minutes and some questionable decisions for both sides, by the referee, had tempers flaring. Sutton defended a series of set pieces, with Kaine Donald making a particularly impressive block in the dying seconds, as Sutton held onto the win and a place in the final to look forward to.

Saturday sees Sutton return to league action when they welcome Knowle FC to the Coleshill Road Stadium for a 3pm kick off.

Team: Sutton United
1. Reiss Wagstaff
2. Jonny Grigg – Pete Bannister 73’
3. Jake Murrell – Cormac Parize 87’
4. Kaine Donald
5. Brad Gregory – Lewis James 73’
6. Josh Duggan (c)
7. Tom Massey – Matt Hurrell 88’
8. Sef Semlali
9. Leyton Hines – Matty Lewis 87’
10. Joe Gildea
11. Joe Delaney

Richard Heath
Liam Burke
Derek Cullen
Louis Singh

Team: Coton Green
1. Lewis Landers
2. Brad Lindsey
3. Joe Smith (c)
4. Charlie Noakes – Tom Cullen 68’
5. Luke Fox
6. Luke Hennessy
7. Brett Fellows – Jay Payne 68’
8. Lewan Tobin
9. Matt Gardner
10. Ryan Conlon – Reinaldo Forbes 80’
11. Connor Doyle

Nic Oakley

Sutton UnitedStatisticsCoton Green
6Attempts on Target5
7Fouls Committed9
0Yellow Cards2
0Red Cards0

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *